Monday, August 23, 2021

Death of a Matriarch - Ina Maud Blair Barrett


This post is in honor of my late grandmother who died at the age of 99 a few weeks ago.

Our family had a Zoom tribute over the weekend and (naturally) I couldn't recall a story about her that I wanted to share until it was over.

So here it is.


I was in elementary school and she was here in the States visiting us.  She was dropping some wisdom on me one day (when wasn't she?) and said "You can always say something positive about anyone, anywhere."

I wasn't trying to be a wiseguy, I swear, but this is what came out of my mouth - - "Oh yeah?  What can you say positive about The Devil?  I mean, he's evil."

She leaned back, crossed her arms, and sat there for a moment.  Then she smiled, leaned forward and took my hands in hers with that soft iron grip only grands have.

"At least he's persistent."


That he is, Grandma, that he is.